Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8722 6318
Councillors asked to refuse Tesco's plans for Tolworth at development control meeting
Councillors have been asked to refuse Tesco’s application for a supermarket, a hotel, and three blocks of flats on the old Toby Jug site in Tolworth.
Kingston Council officers made the recommendation in a report saying the supermarket giant had not proved its plans would protect new residents from noise.
Tesco had not offered enough cash to mitigate extra pressure on schools and health services, or proved air quality would not deteriorate because of the development, officers added.
Last week consultant Nick Jones, from GL Hearn, said: "It is 269 homes that will have to go elsewhere if they do not go here.
"Otherwise the pressures are just spread out across the borough."
The council officers’ report to the development control committee said: "The applicant has been given every opportunity to submit an application which is likely to be considered favourably.
"In addition further guidance was offered to the applicant by the case officer during the processing of the application to identify the amendments to address those elements of the scheme considered unacceptable and the Council activity engaged in discussion with the [Greater London Authority] and [Transport for London] to bring this site forward.
"However the amendments required to make the application acceptable are substantial and would materially change the development proposal.
"They would require further consultation to be undertaken."
Councillors will decide whether to approve or reject the plans at a meeting this Friday, February 7, at 7.30pm, at the Guildhall.
Comments are closed on this article.