An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Newlywed killed by jet ski crash two days into honeymoon
- Kingston pensioner's decomposing body found after neighbours report bad smell
- Victory for Surbiton residents as Kingston Council admits consultation into rehabilitation services move was 'flawed'
- London Victoria services delayed due to earlier broken down train
- Paedophile ex-council leader Derek Osbourne 'did not contact Rose Theatre about volunteering there'