An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hampton Carnival is returning in June
- South East Coast Ambulance Service chief exec leaves two months after "fundamental failures" in 111 pilot scheme
- VIDEO: Dramatic police helicopter chase from Chessington to Twickenham ends in burglary arrests
- Kettles, fridges and even frying pans – the innovative smart tech that could simplify our life
- Firefighter retiring after 41 years says 'I just thought I'd give it a go'