An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- GCSE results day in Kingston, Richmond and Elmbridge - News, pictures and reactions from the schools
- RESULTS DAY: Don't want to do A-levels? There are plenty of other options for life after GCSEs
- Olympic gold medallist Sophie Bray pays elderly Surbiton residents a visit
- VIDEO: Police uncover cannabis farm worth £1m in Tolworth home
- Killjoy Corbynites force Surbiton social media parody account name change