An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- "I was scared people would think I was making fun of autism": Stand up John Williams on hosting comedy show for disabilities
- Mouse infestation lands Alexander pub with £13k fine
- Elmbridge Council to seek removal order for travellers at Thamesmead
- Mum About Town with Angellica Bell: 'There is no point worrying about when your time is up'
- Roots Manoeuvres with Georgina Chahed: What we learned from the Chelsea Flower Show