An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Still plenty of time to visit Arts in the Park at Fairfields
- Twin Atlantic head to Kingston for 'ultra-special' mystery gig
- Walton Heritage Day returns, with lots of fun on offer
- Hampton Court Food Festival attracts thousands of foodies
- Save Kingston Carnival campaign gathers momentum as supporters announce former Specials frontman will play alternative gig