An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Firefighters called to blaze near Chessington and Hook Utd football ground in Chalky Lane
- Merchant bank leaving Tolworth Tower to become Merton's biggest private employer
- UPDATE: Man dies after being hit by train at Hampton Wick
- Dealer caught with £20,000-worth of crack cocaine and heroin on Kingston estate jailed
- Two arrested during immigration raids in New Malden and Surbiton