An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- New Malden paedophile jailed for child sex offences - two years after walking free for perverted 'strip Twister' game
- REVEALED: These are the places where you're most (and least) likely to pass your driving test in London
- Judge to decide whether 100-year-old New Malden man accused of sexual assaults against schoolgirl is fit to stand trial
- Send your Pancake Day photos - and flip through these facts, recipes ideas and top tips
- Person taken to hospital after being hit by bus in Surbiton