An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Achieving for Children's Nick Whitfield drafted in to save Reading child services
- Garden centre helps save the turtles through voluntary plastic bag charge
- Can you help identify this mystery man who suffered a stroke and cannot communicate?
- Drugs gang jailed for 42 years for kidnapping and torturing teenager with lighters and needles at flat in Weybridge
- Cemetery expansion on the cards because sites will reach full capacity in 20 years