An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- 'Inadequate' South East Coast Ambulance Service placed into special measures
- Husband 'murdered wife by hitting her in the head with an axe' after divorce row, court hears
- New Surbiton free school provider sets sights on King Charles Centre
- Chessington World of Adventures unlikely to suffer from £5m Alton Towers fine following Smiler crash
- 'It's just so tragic for me': Devastated pet lover calls on council to install cameras in Norbiton street after her cat is killed by speeding driver