An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Train strike back ON - dates set for two Network Rail walkouts after pay offer rejected
- Former scout leader from Chessington denies child pornography charges
- Teenager begins drive to raise £1.2m to save 'birthplace of the Mini-Cooper'
- Entity Allstars dancer from Worcester Park gets ready for Britain’s Got Talent final
- BREAKING NEWS: Cyclist killed in serious crash in Walton involving a car, tanker and a van