An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Kingston Green party pressured to step aside in Richmond Park byelection because of potential £250,000 donation, local members claim
- Hit-and-run thug who mowed down and killed policeman caught playing Xbox Live in prison 'using Cop Killer tag'
- Fire engine could move from Kingston to New Malden station in bid to improve borough's below average response times
- Report reveals least trusted professions
- Weybridge MP Philip Hammond releases adorable Christmas card of his pet dogs outside No.11