Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
New takeaway pizza shop near Pizza Express in Surbiton rejected by councillors
An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Man who drove across level crossing let off with absolute discharge
- Would you take a pill that would make you Olympic champion but then kill you?
- Repeat of director's secret £128,000 pay-off 'would have to be voted on by councillors' in future
- Step back in time for pub quiz on Hook's past
- 'Considerable' rise in achievement at Chessington primary school
Comments are closed on this article.