An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Shamed former Kingston Council leader Derek Osbourne out of prison
- A&E staffing gap 'does not bode well' for Kingston Hospital this winter, GPs told
- Kingston Hill homes could get woodland tax refund over 99-year-old map revelation
- Great nephew moved by Walton's tribute to Battle of Britain crash pilot
- Teen singer impresses to reach national semi-final