An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Body believed to be missing university student Victor Ivanelo found under railway arch near Surbiton station
- Arrests after 'horrendous' linked hit-and-run road rage attacks on M25 and A3 left woman with broken ribs
- Missing Richard Challoner pupil found
- 'Please don't do this': Petition calls on St Peter's Hospital to scrap plans to charge for disabled parking
- Surrey County Council to leave organisation 'fighting for local authorities at national level'