An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Hurricane Gonzalo not expected to devastate south London and Surrey
- PHOTOS: Grace and poise at Surbiton Ski Sunday
- Off duty RNLI guard saves girl and man from River Thames
- Baroness Campbell 'disappointed' by media coverage of spinal muscular atrophy in Tania Clarence case
- Child poverty low in Elmbridge, but for some remains a day-to-day issue