An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mum About Town with Angellica Bell: 'Thank you to all my readers over the past three years'
- Most read stories across Kingston of 2014
- Police deliver 200 presents to cared-for children in Christmas appeal
- Safety fears over roof garden proposal for 300-bed student flats scheme
- Police close case on Kingston town centre 'attack'