An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UPDATE: Two arrests after man killed in shooting at pool party in Headley
- Cycling great and Tour de France winner Chris Froome to ride through Kingston
- This is what the 'Waitrose effect' can do to the value of your home
- UPDATE: Cause of fire at old BBC sports ground under investigation
- 5 things we learnt from ABC's headline show at Hampton Pool's Summer Picnic Concerts