An upscale pizza chain will not be coming to Surbiton after councillors rejected its plans for a new shop.
Basilico, which has shops in Canary Wharf and Islington, was blocked for a second time at Wednesday’s Surbiton planning committee.
It had hoped to open its new takeaway in the Woodland Cars site in Central Parade.
Chairman Councillor Malcolm Self said the application was rejected, after "quite a long discussion", to avoid loss of retail space.
The proliferation of pizza purveyors in Surbiton already includes Pizza Express just yards away, plus Village Pizza around the corner in Claremont Rd, and Papa John’s in Victoria Road.
The Basilico shop would have created six full-time and 14 part-time jobs.
What do you think? Email the newsdesk at email@example.com.
- Woman in her 70s suffers life-threatening injuries after being hit by car
- Families struggling to make ends meet, despite low child poverty figures
- Fly-tipping forces road closure in West Molesey
- Poignant war cemetery visit for Cobham school children
- 'A tragic accident': Husband's fish smoker started house fire that killed 90-year-old Chessington pensioner