A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Hanging bra-skets: Colourful display of ample assets causes titters of amusement at Surbiton station
- PICTURED: What to expect at Adrenaline Rush obstacle race at Kempton Park - including Europe's biggest inflatable water slide
- Updated: Motorcylist in critical condition following Thames Ditton crash
- 'Never had horses as an opening act before': Jess Glynne looks forward to Sandown Park Racecourse gig
- Brexit vote and Boris Johnson bid to succeed Cameron could mean Heathrow expansion is denied, say campaigners