A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- "Humiliating" Snapchat video shown to murder accused before fatal stabbing of Jamil Palmer, Old Bailey hears
- Search for Walton man Viktoras Bruzas after two 'stabbed to death' in Fetcham
- Son helps terminally ill mother celebrate wedding anniversary with visit to pub where she married
- Children give hundreds of Christmas boxes in overseas appeal
- Flood defence scheme costing £300m wins Elmbridge Council backing