A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Delays and cancellations on the trains possible until 8pm due to signalling problems
- Victim speaks out against grandfather who sexually assaulted her and "told everybody I made it up"
- 'I sent them packing': How Kingston man saved 11 adorable ducklings from predatory crows
- Councils join forces to push for devolved powers to 'create 500,000 new jobs and 20,000 extra homes'
- Sean Heiss murder trial: Accused brutally killed woman in Spain months after strangling mother