A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Kids as 'young as four' partied at Kingston nightclub before drunken 2am brawl, court hears
- Woman left shaken by 'despicable' attempted sexual assault in alleyway
- Firefighters hand out sandbags to homes at risk of flooding after heavy rainfall
- North Korean woman denies murdering her partner in New Malden High Street
- Kingston schools gripped by 'funding crisis', headteachers claim