Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8722 6318
Family's television explodes during lightning storm in New Malden
A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Lorry hits Hersham train bridge
- Live: Envelopes at the ready as Elmbridge prepares for GCSE results
- Live: Year 11 pupils receive their GCSE results
- Missing Thames Ditton girl found
- Christmas park and ride from Chessington to Kingston to be scrapped
Comments are closed on this article.