A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- 'Second chance': A suicidal woman has thanked police for saving her life
- Anyone hoping for snow this week or a dry bank holiday is going to be disappointed
- ‘Don’t let bins become stepping stones’: Surrey Police’s advice after neighbours were burgled on same day
- Conservative councillor defects to Liberal Democrats because of 'government's hard Brexit'
- Wildlife trust launches campaign to save prickly British icon disappearing faster than tigers