Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Family's television explodes during lightning storm in New Malden
A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Man who drove across level crossing let off with absolute discharge
- Would you take a pill that would make you Olympic champion but then kill you?
- Repeat of director's secret £128,000 pay-off 'would have to be voted on by councillors' in future
- Step back in time for pub quiz on Hook's past
- 'Considerable' rise in achievement at Chessington primary school
Comments are closed on this article.