A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Kingstonian board lashes out at critics for 'personal animosity' and calls for 'trust and confidence' in search for new ground
- Gannett Foundation awards more than £16,000 to south London charities
- WATCH: Tottenham Hotspur star appeals to New Malden residents to come forward as cell donor for severely ill toddler
- Morden mosque fire: Teenager appears in court charged with arson
- Londoners can now hire naked women to clean their homes