A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Ralph Brazier inquest: 'Shoddy' county council repair work on pothole contributed to death of 'experienced' cyclist
- Butcher shop owner's horror after customer loses hand in gruesome meat grinder accident
- Former police officer forced to wrestle and handcuff 'drunken' passenger on London-bound flight from Bahrain
- How will our area fare when Storm Dorris hammers UK with 80mph winds, heavy rain and snow?
- Kingston residents to grill councillors in latest neighbourhood conversations