A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- PICTURES: Surbiton's weirdest festival conjures up the 'Spirit of Seething'
- Kingston Council slams brakes on new 'money-making' traffic cameras
- Vodafone and O2 dig hole for new phone mast before getting permission
- Thieves steal a Henley cup, two signed football shirts and a silver oar
- Vintage Kingston: Red-hot debate on Tolworth Broadway speed limits