Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8722 6318
Family's television explodes during lightning storm in New Malden
A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Investigation launched into Korean student's Bentall Centre death
- Former Specials star Neville Staple to headline 2014 Kingston Carnival
- Rabbi 'feels less safe' after Kingston synagogue worshippers branded 'child murderers'
- Man who raped and attempted to murder pensioner 'dies after prison suicide'
- Up to 300 blood samples taken after van is stolen from outside GP surgery in broad daylight
Comments are closed on this article.