A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- WATCH: Courteeners frontman Liam Fray storms off stage after being hit in the head with a bottle at Kingston's Hippodrome
- UPDATE: Cyclist taken to hospital after being hit by a car in north Kingston
- Is this the most 'rubbish' Christmas gift idea of the year?
- Surrey County Council consultancy spending soars by 'more than 40 per cent' so far this year
- Kingston High Street still closed for repairs after bus fire