A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- War veteran seeks missing friends in time for Christmas
- Police appeal after teenage girl allegedly assaulted in Weybridge woodlands
- Head-on van and car crash
- More than 1,500 people wait 10 years or longer for council house in Kingston
- Former Surrey Comet editor: Fake Elm Guest House D-notice claims 'ludicrous'