Football has a nasty habit of kicking you in the backside just when you least expect it as Sutton United fans experienced this week when the joy of one last-gasp goal was tempered by the despair of another.

As last Saturday's game at Wrexham entered injury time with the U's a goal down, the home fans broke into song in premature celebration of their team topping the table only for Ross Lafayette to deny them that honour with a stunning late volley to earn United a point.

On Tuesday against league leaders Dover Athletic, the boot was on the other foot.

United were 2-1 up late in the game when the Sutton faithful amassed at the Collingwood Road end tempted fate with their own chant in salute of their heroes' imminent return to the summit.

They were soon silenced when fate handed defender Manny Parry an injury time equaliser to give the Kent club a point. 

But it's little wonder fans are getting a bit ahead of themselves what with the excitement generated by the rapidly-changing landscape of this season's National League as the leadership swaps hands after each round of matches.

The first half against Dover gave little indication of the dramatic second half to come.

The visitors looked the more dangerous and forced Sutton goalkeeper Jamie Butler to make two smart saves before they took the lead in the 36th minute when former Tottenham u-21 defender Giancarlo Gallifuoc turned smartly to fire past Butler from close range.

United looked somewhat out of sorts and it wasn’t until manager Paul Doswell made a couple of substitutions midway through the second half that the game changed dramatically.

Within three minutes of his introduction, striker Tommy Wright brought Sutton level with a stunning half-volley from 20 yards that flew past Dover goalkeeper Mitch Walker.

With their tails up, United went looking for another and they got it with 10 minutes to go.

Kieron Cadogan’s shot skipped off the surface through a crowd of players and into the net to send the home fans in a crowd of 2,206 wild.

Sutton looked as if they might increase their lead late on as the fourth official indicated five minutes of injury time still to be played.

In the last minute Wright broke forward for Sutton but looked to have been blatantly barged off the ball. 

The referee did nothing to endear himself to the home supporters when he waved play-on and Dover wasted no time in charging forward for one final attack. 

Kane Richards launched a cross into the penalty area, Connor Essam headed the ball back across the Sutton goal where Parry volleyed into the net from close range for the equaliser.

After the game, Sutton assistant manager Micky Stephens gave an honest assessment of the dramatic top-of-the-table clash. 

“It’s a tough one to take, really," he said.

"I thought we were home and hosed. They were the better side in the first half and we weren’t happy with our performance.

“There were some strong words from the manager at half-time and, to be fair, I thought it was a brilliant response.

“We made some good substitutions and changed the game back in our favour and I thought we would go on to win it.

“When we look back on it we should have seen the game out.”

Heading into this weekend's matches it's the Macclesfield Town fans who can sing about topping the table while United have slipped down to fifth. Just four points separate the top nine clubs. 

SPECIAL OFFER for Sutton United v AFC Fylde, Saturday, October 7, 3pm.

Sutton United have announced a special offer admission prices for this Saturday’s home League game against AFC Fylde.

– ADMISSION IS FREE for juniors aged 16 and under

– Season ticket holders of ALL Premier League, Championship, EFL AND other Non-League teams can gain admission to this match for just £5 per person (present your club’s season ticket at the turnstile to get this special price). This includes our visitors from Fylde.

– General admission prices for this match are being reduced to just £12 for adults and £6 for concessions to celebrate Non-League day.

For more details visit