Sutton United 2 Kingstonian 4

A sensational second-half display at Gander Green Lane, capped by a wonder strike from top scorer Bobby Traynor, sent Kingstonian into the Ryman League Premier Division play-off final.

Ks' comeback centred on three magnificent goals, the pick of the bunch being Traynor’s spectacular waist-high volley that gave Ks a 3-2 lead on 63 minutes.

And, when the striker added his second and Ks' fourth 13 minutes later, Alan Dowson's men were in dreamland, or, at least, this Saturday’s crunch clash at Boreham Wood to decide who joins Ryman League champions Dartford in next season’s Blue Square South.

It had all seemed so unlikely at half-time. Sutton bossed the first half, despite going a goal behind after just 10 minutes.

And Ks' Rob Tolfrey was far the busier of the two keepers.

Ks stunned most of the bumper 1,401 gate when Christian Jolley shook off two Sutton defenders in a goalmouth scramble and placed a left-foot shot past Us keeper Kevin Scriven.

The hosts soon settled down to a fluent passing game, despite the bumpy pitch, orchestrated by the lively Danny Phillips.

And, within eight minutes, they were deservedly level, when Bradley Woods-Garness guided the ball past Tolfrey at his near post from a Charlie Taylor knock-down.

Their second goal, after 28 minutes, was simplicity itself, Steve McKimm lofting a right-wing free-kick to the far post, where Steve Perkins rose unchallenged to loop a header back over Tolfrey from the corner of the six-yard box.

Tolfrey turned aside Francis Quarm’s low drive moments later and Sonny Cobbs then headed over when well-placed, as Sutton threatened to put the game out of Ks reach.

Ks were grateful for the half-time whistle, and manager Alan Dowson replaced the tireless but ineffectual Simon Huckle with Luke I’Anson during the 15-minute breather.

Ks restarted with renewed purpose. However, their 50th-minute equaliser was still a pleasant shock to the significant travelling contingent.

Sutton half-cleared a hopeful Ks foray, and the ball fell to centre-back Adam Thompson, whose control and firm right-foot shot past Scriven’s right hand was centre-forward class.

Thirteen minutes later came the game changer. Luke Hickie picked the ball up on the right, level with the edge of the penalty box and fired a cross towards the waiting Traynor, who volleyed the ball like a rocket past the fully stretched Scriven into the top corner.

It was a goal worthy of winning any game. And the whole atmosphere changed as Ks players and fans alike realised the game was there for the winning.

Mo Harkin nearly did so in Ks next attack, firing over right-footed from 10 yards out with Scriven beaten.

There was a little consternation among Ks ranks when Tolfrey received lengthy treatment after taking a high ball under pressure as Sutton strove to regain the initiative.

But the inspirational Traynor, who swept the board at Saturday’s player of the year awards party, sealed a famous victory in the 76th minute.

He picked up a throw-in down the right, cut inside two defenders and the exposed Scriven and slotted the ball into the empty net with his weaker left foot.

Ks entered the play-offs as the out-of-form side of the four qualifiers.

So they will be outsiders again at Broughinge Road on Saturday against Wood who leapfrogged them into fourth-place in the league on the final day.

Wood won 1-0 at third-placed Aveley in the other play-off semi on Monday.

But Ks did a league double over the Hertfordshire side during the regulation season.

And, if they can draw inspiration from their magnificent second-half at Sutton, promotion is possible.

Ks: Rob Tolfrey, John Fletcher, Bashiru Alimi, Adam Thompson, Francis Duku, Simon Huckle (Luke I’Anson, h-t), Matt Gray, Mo Harkin, Bobby Traynor, Luke Hickie, Christian Jolley.

SUBS NOT USED: Luke Garrard (GK), Rob Sheridan, Dean Lodge, Carl Wilson-Denis.

Ks bookings: I’Anson, 70

Attendance: 1,401