The resignation of Dean Brennan following Saturday's defeat at home to bottom-club Burgess Hill Town has left Kingstonian in a state of chaos as the season staggers to a close, writes Taimour Lay.

Brennan's reign lasted just five games, four of them losses. He arrived as a high-profile appointment in February with a solid record in the league above and spoke convincingly of making K's a long-term project.

Despite ongoing investment, and harmony with the majority of the four-man board, a breakdown in relations with one K's director over player liaison and strategy forced the Irishman to re-evaluate his position.

After watching his team concede a second-half winner to the Hillians, the former Hemel and Billericay boss informed the club of his intention to leave.

It continues a miserable few months for the club, who have not won in the league since early January. Stuck on 42 points after 10 defeats in 11, the threat of relegation cannot be discounted.

It was announced on Monday that Kim Harris will be back in charge for the rest of the campaign. He will be assisted by former Tooting & Mitcham man-ager Frank Wilson.

It is all a far cry from the early-season optimism when K's were one of the favourites for promotion. But Leigh Dynan was sacked after 6 straight defeats, not least for a 7-1 humiliation at Dorking and failing to manage an expensive squad in constant flux.

Brennan used his first programme notes last month to call for lower spending and a younger, hungrier team but his efforts at rebuilding a divided dressing-room have now been cut short.

Harris, a popular figure in local football who has also managed Corinthian-Casuals, last took the K's helm on a caretaker basis in October 2017 when he oversaw a home win over Wingate & Finchley following the sudden departure of Craig Edwards.

A statement from the K's board read: "We are again extremely grateful to Kim for stepping in at a difficult moment for the club after Dean Brennan's decision to leave. Kim will take charge of training on Thursday evening, and we look forward to seeing him in the dugout at Lewes this coming Saturday."

The Dripping Pan may not hold fond memories for Harris. It was the site of K's Conference South play-off defeat in 2004, the end of his first stint as manager. The Surrey Senior Cup quarter-final at Met Police has been re-arranged for Tuesday 26th March and remains the last hope for K's to salvage a season that once promised so much.