It is two long months since Kingstonian last won in the league after a 3-1 reverse at Harlow Town on Saturday extended the club’s sorry run, writes Taimour Lay.

Having sat second in the Bostik Premier on 5 January, nine defeats and a draw have slowly turned the season into a potential relegation fight, reviving memories of the bleak winter of 2017.

Dean Brennan is still in search of his first victory but there have been mitigating circumstances. First, the dismantling of Leigh Dynan’s highly paid squad and now an injury crisis with Tom Bird, Louie Theophanous, Rhys Murrell-Williamson, Delano Sam-Yorke and Sean Clohessy all out.

“We got ourselves into some good goal-scoring positions but never had enough penetration,” Brennan said afterwards. “The second goal we conceded was totally against the run of play and hurt us mentally. All in all, we have to improve in both boxes.”

In the shadow of Poundland’s huge UK headquarters, high winds made for challenging conditions on Harlow's 3G surface.

The Essex team signed Scott Davies from K’s this month and he looked keen to prove a point as they battle against the drop.

The home side duly took the lead in the 6th minute. A long free kick into the box was cleared only as far as Tom Hitchcock, who volleyed expertly into Rob Tolfrey's top corner.

K’s went on to dominate the half, showing signs of a new possession-based approach, with intelligent runs from Connor Smith and the hardworking Nathan Minhas. They deservedly got back on level terms shortly after the break, Smith finding the far corner with a superb curling effort from the corner of the penalty area.

Just as K’s looked like securing the winner, Harlow’s Matthew Foy led a counter-attack on the hour-mark and finished confidently inside Tolfrey's near post.

New captain Ismail Yakubu had the ball in the net from a corner but was adjudged to have fouled the keeper, lively debutant Lyle Della-Verde came close and substitute Chace Jacquart wasted a late chance at the backpost.

But Hitchcock then took advantage of a stretched Ks defence to make it 3-1 in stoppage time.

K's host bottom club Burgess Hill Town on Saturday at King George's Field.