Igor Vetokele’s injury time winner condemned AFC Wimbledon to a late defeat against Charlton Athletic in a major blow to their survival hopes.

The substitute popped up in the 91st minute after on-loan Watford striker Michael Folivi’s first goal for the Dons was cancelled out by a Naby Sarr equaliser.

It wasn’t Lyle Taylor’s day, receiving a frosty reception on his return to the Kingsmeadow, but the damaging defeat ends Wimbledon’s short two-match winning run.

Wimbledon are now seven points adrift from safety after Oxford United won away to Blackpool, while Bristol Rovers and Rochdale both lost.

Wally Downes made two changes to the team which defeated Rochdale 4-3 in midweek, with Paul Kalambayi and Scott Wagstaff drafted in.

Wimbledon are in desperate need of wins to stay in the league, and were the better of the two teams in the opening exchanges.

Former Charlton striker Joe Pigott picked off an errant pass and drove it towards goal before Anthony Wordsworth went close with a thumped volley.

But the hosts took the lead when Terrell Thomas turned the ball back into the box for Folivi to finish, his first goal in four games for the Dons.

Wimbledon were the better of the two teams in the first half as Charlton failed to get out of first gear, and Toby Sibbick’s tame finish perhaps denied them a second goal.

The second half would be much feistier, with Addicks boss Lee Bowyer being sent off just minutes into the restart.

A free-kick some 25 yards out saw Sarr power in a rocket free-kick on 51 minutes before he escaped a red card following a late challenge.

But the huge talking point was Taylor, the Charlton’s leading scorer, who several times had great opportunities to score against his former club on his return.

On two occasions, the striker was twice close to Aaron Ramsdale’s goal but failed to hit the target in crucial opportunities.

Following an onslaught of chances, it was substitute Vetokele who dealt the killer blow, bundling home the winner and racing towards a rapturous away support.