Harlequins ended a three-game losing streak against Newcastle Falcons with an error-laden 20-7 victory at The Stoop.

Tries from Alex Dombrandt and Francis Saili, helped by the boot of Marcus Smith was enough to give the home side the win against a Falcons side who sit bottom of the Gallagher Premiership.

Being able to re-call internationals Mike Brown, Joe Marchant and Nathan Earle back in to the starting XV, Quins boss Paul Gustard would’ve been confident of adding to the two league wins against a Newcastle side missing inspirational leader Mark Wilson.

It was home side started the brighter, camping deep in the Falcons half. But a combination of a sturdy Dean Richards’ defence and poor Quins handling yielded nothing in the form of points in the opening ten minutes.

Injuries Galore

A serious looking leg injury to Joel Hodgson picked up in a tackle with Ben Tapuai resulted in a long delay. On a night when handling would be difficult enough the break seemed to cause both sides issues as they struggled to compose themselves.

Smith eventually got the scoreboard ticking with a penalty from the 22 before another ten minutes of poor handling ensued.

Another long break in the play, this time as Quins’ Aaron Morris caught his head the wrong side of a tackle. Lying motionless on the deck, it was with some relief to see the wing walk off the field, albeit looking a little groggy.

An uncharacteristic penalty miss from Toby Flood summed up the opening 35 minutes. A very makeable chance to level the scores out never looked like reaching the uprights.

With the half time approaching the deadlock was finally unlocked through a piece of opportune play. The rising star it seems in the Quins ranks, Dombrandt, intercepted a George McGuigan pass to canter away to for his first league try. Smith added the extras to make it 10-0 at the break.

Internationals Combine

Whatever the coaches said at the break, it wasn’t taken on board as both sides were responsible for more sloppy errors.

Smith added a further three points to extend their lead despite Quins being a man down. Lewis Boyce seeing yellow for an infringment at the scrum.

The first real bit of quality resulted in a try.

On the hour the internationals combined superbly. Marchant flicked a pass out to Brown who broke the line before offloading to Earle who looked to be in for a score. Brought down agonisingly short he popped up to the grateful Saili to score possibly the easiest try of his career.

The Quins score seemed to stir the Falcons and as they kicked in to life soon after. Andrew Davidson managing to find a gap at the edge of the ruck to go over. Flood added the extras to bring the visitors within two scores.

A host of further errors from the away side as they pushed for the next score put an end to any hope of a comeback as the game petered out for a win that takes Gustard’s men to fifth in the table.