Sutton Common Rovers first team moved into the third round of the Premier Challenge Cup on Monday night with a 4-2 win over a good Southall side.

With ten changes to the line up from the side that had beaten Banstead Athletic it was testament to the strength of the squad that Darren Salmon and Donny Rennalls have assembled that the team was able to see off an inform Southall team.

After a cagey start it was Rovers who struck first on 12 minutes when a hopeful ball down the right by Jordan Gallagher was left by everyone bar Aidan Brown, who chased into the corner and collected the loose ball, with good composure he found Phil Page, and his shot on the turn beat Frank Atwell for 1-0.

Rovers were dominating, and on 17 minutes neat interplay almost released Adam Allen, but he was denied by a tremendous last gasp tackle by Gavin Austin.

Atwell pulled out a good save from Brown on 25 minutes, and three minutes later it was 2-0, as Brown shrugged off the attentions of Claudio Owusu and rounded Atwell for 2-0.

Back at the other end, and although keeper Craig Bradshaw was relatively untroubled, we were grateful to some good interceptions from crosses by the ever impressive Guy Baskerville and Asa Rixon-Nicholls.

Page bought out an excellent save by Atwell low to his left, before he notched his second just before the interval. Again it was good work by Brown, who squared to Page, who in turn beat his man and fired home.

To their credit, Southall started the second half brightly and were back in the game on 48 minutes. A corner from the right being powerfully headed home by Gary Senior.

Rovers made a couple of changes around the hour mark, with Josh Uzun and Phil Page making way for a couple of our U23 players, in Ben Senior, and debutant Dan Stone. It was 4-1 on 63 minutes, Senior was fouled on the right and from the

Gallagher delivery Rixon-Nicholls thumped home the header.

Another U23 in Marc Agou was introduced with just under 25 minutes remaining, replacing Callum Maclean.

Southall struck the final goal of the game with ten minutes remaining, Allen lost possession of the edge of the Rovers area, and Kevin Aoudief crashed home an unstoppable shot to give Southall something to cheer about.