The game felt quite even in the opening stages, Rory Jennings opened the scoring after 15 minutes for Scottish with a penalty from the 22, but otherwise both teams felt well matched.

Scottish started to go through the gears, and kept Jersey pinned in their own half. Powerful carries from Tyas, Bright & Mosses kept Scottish on the front foot, and when space opened up along the 5m line, the ball was sent through the hands to Ingall who stepped his man to score. Jennings converted, LSFC 10-0 Jersey after 20 minutes played.

Jersey replied almost immediately; Jersey went through the phases along the Scots 22, Herron – who was superb all half – spotted Van Dam in space on the wing, and sent a grubber through to him to dive on. Herron couldn’t convert though, LSFC 10-5 Jersey on 22 minutes.

What followed was a bit of a freak try for Jersey; Scottish were going through the phases deep in the Jersey half, the passing was slick, but the ball was wet and got fumbled. Off the floor, Slowik hoofed the ball up the field from his own 22m line, and again off the floor, and again… nobody was able to catch him or the ball, and he dived on it to score after a 60m chase. Herron didn’t convert, LSFC 10-10 Jersey with 25 mins gone.

Jersey began to put huge pressure on the Scottish defence, and moved the ball well in the conditions. On the 30 minute mark, Jersey secured a line out on the 22, the ensuing driving maul traveled all the way to the try line, Selway holding the ball as they crossed. Herron added the two, LSFC 10-17 Jersey.

Another line out on 37 minutes, and another Herron/Van Dam piece of skill. Jersey moved the ball along the 22m line, Herron spotted Van Dam in space on the wing & launched a high, arching kick into space for him to chase & dive onto for his second try of the game. Herron converted, LSFC 10-24 at half time.

The second half started with a bang, Scottish attacked from the off. Slick passing among the backs freed up space for Ingall who burst through the Jersey defence. Smart offloading to Smith, then to Stevenson got Scottish to the 5m line. A few phases later, and Smith was on the opposite wing, Hoadley floated a kick over the top, which Smith caught easily to score in the corner. From a tight angle on the touchline, Jennings converted to make it LSFC 17-24 Jersey after 41 minutes.

Conditions continued to be wet & slippery, both teams put together nice phases of attacking rugby but often the final pass or touch would let them down. Scottish heaped pressure of the Jersey defence, which duly cracked on the 56th minute. From the 22, Jennings scored another penalty to close the gap between the two teams, LSFC 20-24 Jersey.

Just moment later, Scottish crossed the whitewash to take the lead again. Scottish went through the phases in the Jersey half, Smith spotted a gap in the line and ghosted past the defenders… with one hanging onto his legs, he offloaded to Harding on his shoulder, who ran in to score. The ever reliable Jennings converted, to make it 27-24 with 20 minutes to play.

Though neither team added to their score in the final quarter of the game, it was full of attacking rugby; both teams spurred on by the roar of their fans in the stands. It looked like Jersey would steal the victory, but in the final moments of the game, they were turned over on the Scots 5m line. Grayson Hart used all his international experience to run down the clock, and close out the game.

After three narrow losses, finally a narrow victory for Scottish. Both teams played well, and were even for large parts, but Scottish had just enough about them to see off the Reds.

Excellent performances from Man of the Match Rory Jennings, Bright, Mosses & Ingall again.