Corinthian-Casuals exited the London Senior Cup at the second hurdle against a strong Dulwich Hamlet side who proved that clinical finishing is the key to winning games.

Casuals found themselves 3-0 down at half-time, though arguably the busier of the two keepers was Hamlet’s Preston Edwards who was excellent all evening, saving a penalty at a key moment in the match.

Josh Uzun finally found a way to beat the Dulwich stopper in time added on and Casuals will be aggrieved at the number of chances that passed by potentially swinging the game.

Corinth named a much changed line-up with James Bracken’s list of injuries growing. Jack Strange was rested giving Andrew Herring his first start in Casuals shirt. Matt Reece also bagged his first start of the season as plenty were rested – enforced or not, for the league campaign which continues at Thamesmead on Saturday.

Mu Maan had the first chance of the match with his shot cleared off the line by Hamlet skipper Kenny Beany. Matt Reece probably should’ve tested Edwards after he broke through but dragged his shot wide of the post.

Dulwich soon gave Casuals a lesson in clinical finishing; Crossing in from the left, Casuals failed to clear and Anthony Acheampong struck from close range.

A potential turning point occurred when Matt Reece was upended in the box. The striker stepped up for the penalty kick but saw his effort saved by Edwards. Less than a minute later, Acheampong had made it two for the visitors, converting a corner.

The tie was pretty much wrapped up five minutes before half time when Omar Koroma latched onto a cross from the left to leave keeper Bracken no chance.

Casuals came out second half looking to get back into the match and Matt Reece came closest early on. Turning his defender, he unleased a curling shot from 20 yards that crashed off the post and to safety. The striker soon had another great effort, this time on the turn, scrambled away by Edwards, low to his right.

Chances kept coming; Malachi Robinson burst into the box and his cross was met first time by Max Oldham who struck straight at the keeper and Dulwich survived another scare.

Finally, Casuals got the consolation goal that was deserved. Two successive free kicks from identical positions 25 yards out which saw the first effort well saved by the busy Dulwich custodian. However, the second was expertly placed in off the post, to give Casuals fans something to cheer about.

Dulwich showed why they occupy the top of the Bostik league Premier Division and were clinical when required. But Casuals showed spirit and all-in-all, gave those in attendance an enjoyable evening of good football, played by both sides.