Popular to many local residents, Priest Hill Playing Fields (accessible either through Banstead or Reigate Road) is home to much sporting activity. When a group of Glyn School old boys decided to put a Sunday league football team together they had an easy decision to make and set up camp where they had participated in many sports during their time at the Glyn.

Fast forward to May 2016 and Priest Hill find themselves in two cup finals, both league (Leatherhead and District) and Surrey (Sunday Lower Junior.) It was not to be and they came out second best on both evenings. With a fantastic first season behind them, Priest Hill looked ahead to 2016/2017 season and had big plans. After taking on some new talent the team found themselves yet again in two cup finals, league and Surrey.

Friday 7th April was another painful evening for the team as they met with another defeat; 2 goals to 1. Was it the pressure on the evening? Lack of preparation? Despite going undefeated to get to each final, Priest Hill just could not seal the deal. 3 cup finals and nothing to show for it.

Wednesday 19th April. This was the day. This was their chance to prove they were capable of obtaining winner status and finally ridding of the monkey on their back.

30 minutes into the first half and Priest Hill found themselves down 2-0. You could see around the ground everyone was thinking the same thing “here we go again…”

Minutes before the ref blew for half time, star striker Sean White converted a 30-yard free kick from a wide position. There was a moment’s pause before the team and crowd erupted – game on.

A vigorous half time speech from manager Josh Stewart and the boys in blue came out flying. A high tempo start to the second half with genuine belief it was still all to play for. 60th minute and it’s level. Adam Grant keeps composure for a vital equaliser. 

With their new-found momentum, optimism grew and Priest Hill became the dominant team. They were, however, unable to slot home a third and the referee brought the game to a close at 2 apiece.

EXTRA TIME. A quick debrief from both managers and the 1st period of extra time was underway. Priest Hill continuing with the bulk of possession but dangerous looking counter attacks from opposition Real Dundonald. It looked as though penalties were on the cards as the referee was looking at his watch to blow for half time of the extended period but just enough time for Priest Hill to take a corner. GOOOOAAAAALLLL!!! Joe Edwardson leaping like a salmon to get up above his marker and direct the ball into the back of his net with his head.

Just enough time for some water and the teams switch ends for 2nd period of extra time. This was it. They had the advantage. All they needed to do was keep the ball out of their own net.

Priest Hill went on the defensive and a sudden swarm of Real Dundonald attacks left the crowd on the edge of their seats, biting their nails. Some wonderful saves from young goalkeeper Isaac Stephens ensured the victory as the referee blew to bring a grueling 120 minutes of football to a close.

Final score: Priest Hill 2 – 2 Real Dundonald (3-2 AET)

Man of the match: Sean White (Priest Hill)

Article supplied by Sam Gibson