An Epsom riding school which saw three of their ponies brutally attacked during an overnight burglary have been forced to put down another.

Buffy, who had been at the Epsom Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA) for 15 years, “remained traumatised” in the months after the assault.

It's thought that thieves gained access into it by removing a fence post, according to police.

She and Marigold, who was also hurt that night on August 15 last year, suffered injuries to their jaws, legs, shoulders and necks.

But despite a “considerable amount of careful and patient care” the decision was made to put her to sleep.

READ: Epsom riding school in shock after two ponies are hurt in brutal attack

In a statement, Epsom RDA said: “We have given lengthy consideration to alternatives to Buffy, such as finding her a retirement home.

“However, Buffy’s home for 15 years had been Epsom RDA and it was felt that the stress of travelling and being somewhere unknown to her would be too stressful for a sensitive pony in an already anxious state.

“We also had to take into consideration her underlying medical conditions of Cushings and Laminitis, which would have required ongoing complex management.

“Buffy has been an absolute star whilst working for Epsom RDA and it has been an unbelievably hard decision to make, but it was agreed the best thing we could do for this sweet pony was to allow her to end her days peacefully in the place she has given so much to and where for so many years she was so happy.”

READ: Epsom riding school 'heartbroken' after death of Sam after attack

Surrey Comet:

Buffy. Photo: Epsom Riding for the Disabled Association / Facebook

The statement added that Buffy gave “countless” riders the opportunity to ride and specialised in helping the school’s smaller and younger riders.

She “found a special space in the heart of volunteers” and will be missed by those at the RDA.

Buffy is the second of three to have been put to sleep after Sam injured his shoulder and barsa tendon in the attack, which later became infected and caused septicaemia.

Stella Milne, chair of the Epsom RDA, said she was thankful for people's support during the past six months for their understanding at this time.

READ: Epsom riding school rocked by attack gets new horse after community fundraising

The tragic news comes as the RDA was gifted a new horse, Tommy, following community fundraising efforts from Carla Facey and her family over the Christmas holidays.

A Surrey Police spokeswoman said no arrests have been made at this time due to “insufficient evidence” and “the case has now been filed pending any further information coming to light”.