The man who died after reportedly being struck by a car outside Marks and Spencers in Walton Thursday (April 22) has been named by police.

Surrey Police, who are conducting a murder inquiry into what happened, formally identified 49-year-old Matthew Tester from Walton, known locally as Tik, as the "first victim" of the incident.

The second victim, who is also in his 40s, is being treated in hospital where his injuries have been assessed as serious but not life threatening.

A 26-year-old man arrested yesterday on suspicion of murder and attempted murder remains in police custody.

Detective Chief Inspector David Springett, who is leading the enquiry, said:

"We are working hard to build up a picture of events yesterday afternoon and I would like to thank all those who have come forward so far to help us do this.

"If you witnessed this incident or have any information relating to it and have not yet spoken to police, I would urge you to do so.

"A local man has sadly lost his life and our thoughts are very much with his family who are being supported by specialist officers at this difficult time.

"We are particularly interested in speaking to anyone who may have seen a white 1 series BMW in the area during the immediate period beforehand or afterwards as it left from the scene on Church Street at around 2pm, driving towards the High Street.

"A white BMW, suspected of being the vehicle involved, was later found unoccupied at Temple Field Close in Addelstone and has since been recovered."

As the Surrey Comet reported previously, police were called to the scene on Church Street around 2.15pm to reports that an altercation had taken place between a group of men.

Police said one of the men then got into his car, a white 1 series BMW, and reportedly drove at two of the other men in the group.

Despite the best efforts of emergency service personnel who attended, 49-year-old Matthew was pronounced dead at the scene.

The second victim was airlifted to hospital.

Sergeant Pat Bauer from Elmbridge’s Safer Neighbourhood Team, added the following:

"I understand how concerning this will be to our communities and I would like to reassure residents that we believe this to be an isolated incident.

"There have been some reports speculating about road rage but initial enquiries do not support this and it is believed some of the parties were previously known to each other.

"The cordon on Church Road will remain in place for the time being and you should expect to see an increased police presence in the area as officers conduct enquiries, including house to house, over the coming days as we continue our work on this case."

Anyone with information, including CCTV or dashcam footage, is asked report to Surrey Police using the Major Incident Public Portal, available here.