Police have released footage showing the moment a man who stabbed a train passenger to death on a Surrey train was arrested at his girlfriend's home.

Darren Pencille, 36, was today found guilty of murder for stabbing 51-year-old Lee Pomeroy 18 times in front of his son on a train from London to Guildford in January.

Pencille was arrested by armed police less than 18 hours later at his girlfriend’s home in Willbury Road in Farnham.

Chelsea Mitchell, 28, was found guilty of helping him evade police after the attack.

He had previously attempted to avoid capture by travelling to Frensham Ponds, Bognor Regis and Chichester.

Interviews, local CCTV and other tools helped piece together his movements before then.

One witness saw him climbing a fence as he fled through fields and away from the train immediately after the attack.

He was sweating profusely and had ditched a bloodied hat and jacket nearby to Clandon station.

As Pencille fled he called his girlfriend, who picked him up and took him back to her flat.

The two spent 3 hours at her home; Mitchell used her mobile to search for news reports relating to the stabbing, whether there were CCTV cameras at London Road station, and creating a video of Pencille’s injuries.

She went to a local Tesco’s and bought hair clippers with the intention of helping Pencille shave his head in hopes of changing his appearance.

They also drove from the Willbury Road address to the rural Frensham Ponds followed by Chichester and Bognor Regis in West Sussex, before researching cheap hotels in the Surrey and Sussex areas.

They then returned home and where they were arrested hours later.

Within that time, Pencille had called an ex-girlfriend and his mum, telling them he had done “something bad” and said they would see it on the news.

During police interviews, Pencille refused to answer any questions put to him – providing no explanation why he unleashed a savage attack on Mr Pomeroy.

Both will Pencille and Mitchell will be sentenced within the coming days.

Detective Chief Inspector Sam Blackburn of the British Transport Police, said: “This was a case where a brief argument resulted in a moment of shocking violence that ended with the death an adored father, husband, brother and son.

“No argument, however heated, should result in the violence seen that day and no family members should ever bear witnesses to the violent death of a loved one.

“It was solely the actions of a murderer who, when challenged, could only respond with vicious threats and a knife , which led to Mr Pomeroy’s death.

“The loss of Lee has left an unfillable hole in the lives of his family; he was their rock, their main breadwinner, a soulmate to his wife, and a defender, guide and mentor to his teenage son."