A boy who developed cerebral palsy as a result of preventable brain damage suffered shortly after his birth has received a multi-million settlement from St Helier Hospital.

The victim was sent home by hospital staff on the day he was born in 2010 before results of blood tests, which showed he was at risk of developing jaundice, were known.

As concerns over his development grew, 14 months later the boy underwent brain scans which revealed he suffered kernicterus, a rare form of brain damage caused by untreated jaundice in new-born babies.

The boy, who is now aged nine, went on to develop cerebral palsy.

His mother instructed medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate his care under Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs St Helier Hospital.

The High Court today approved a lump sum settlement of £6.75 million with additional annual payments of £295,000.

The money will pay for the round the clock care the boy will require for the rest of his life, as well as specialist therapies and equipment. It will also fund an adapted property.

The boy’s mother said: “I knew something was wrong with my son but trusted the health professionals.

“To be then told that he had suffered a brain injury which I believe could have been easily avoided was absolutely devastating.

“While the last few years and trying to come to terms with what happened have been incredibly difficult, we try and lead as normal a life as possible.

“My son is the most affectionate boy I could wish for.

“He is always smiling and tries not to be defined by what has happened to him.

“My focus is trying to provide him with the best life I possibly can. This at least gives me peace of mind that his needs will be met for however long he lives.”

The boy's mother relayed concerns that her son had jaundice to hospital staff in the days following his birth, however no arrangements were made.

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust admitted full liability, conceding that the boy should not have been sent home without the results of the blood test been known.

If he had remained in hospital the boy would not have suffered his injuries.

At a court hearing on July 9 approving the settlement, Judge Gore QC acknowledged that the injury was completely avoidable and “the settlement will not turn the clock back, but the lesson of today is that this hearing…allows the family to be able to move forward in the best way in which they are able to.”

Daniel Elkeles, chief executive of Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals Trust, said: "We are deeply sorry that the care provided to OXS in 2010 fell below the high standards we would expect and strive for.

“Liability in this case was agreed in 2016 (with interim payments on account of damages in place since then), and the Trust is pleased that the terms of the settlement for OXS and his family have now been agreed.

"We sincerely hope this settlement will meet his ongoing care needs and will provide security for him and his family into the future.

“I would like to assure all of our patients and their relatives that the circumstances of his care have been closely reviewed to ensure that all appropriate lessons have been learned.”