Epsom and Ewell climbed up to third in the league following a 3-1 win over Tooting Bec on a gloriously sunny afternoon last Saturday.

Bec came out of the blocks first and were on the front foot in the early exchanges.

They went close to taking the lead after a 20 yard shot that had keeper Ricky Borrett beaten in the Salts goal, kissed the crossbar.

The match then oscillated each way with counter attacks.

The Salts defence had trouble dealing with Bec's swift forwards and struggled to get into the match.

So it was against the run of play when the Salts took a 1-0 lead on 18 minutes after a superb flowing move saw Taryn Smith run diagonally across the 6 yard box, and slot a low shot under the keeper into the net.

Five minutes later they doubled the lead. Scott Murphy was fouled, and up stepped Adam Heagney to plant the ball on Murphy's head who finished superbly.

Borrett's goal led a charmed life on 26 minutes when a Bec forward was one on one with him, only to shoot high and wide.

However the Salts rear-guard was broken in the 39th minute when a cross from the left wing was drilled home from the edge of the box by James Parsons to make it 2-1.

They nearly evened the score shortly before half time after Rick Borrett fumbled a Bec shot, only for the forward to shoot wide.

The second half was more even with the Salts getting more into the game creating several chances.

On 76 minutes Salts' earned themselves a penalty after supersub Kieran Campbell was brought down in the box. Up stepped Bobby Bennett to send the keeper the wrong and restored their two goal cushion.

Bec rallied but the closest they came to scoring a second was a long range shot that rattled Borrett's crossbar once again with him well beaten.

Epsom now sit behind Bedfont and Feltham on goal difference, with Farnham Town leading the table on 16 points.

Next up for the Salts is a trip to Bedfont Sports' ground to play groundsharers FC Deportivo Galicia, on  Saturday in the CCL 1st Division, 3pm Kick Off.