A3 TRUNK ROAD (SURREY AND HAMPSHIRE) TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONSNotice ID: MFN0587387
A3 TRUNK ROAD (SURREY AND HAMPSHIRE) TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS
Notice is hereby given that Highways England Company Limited intends to make an Order on the A3 Trunk Road in the Counties of Surrey and Hampshire, under Sections 14(1 )(a) and 14(1 )(c) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 because works are proposed to be executed on the road. The effect of the Order would be to:-
1. authorise the overnight closure, in phases, of-
(i) both carriageways of the A3 between Hook Underpass (A309) and Ockham Interchange (B2039/B2215), and all slip roads leading to and from this length;
(ii) both carriageways of the A3 between Ockham Interchange (B2039/B2215) and a point 500 metres north-west of the northern entry/exit of Hindhead Tunnel, and all slip roads leading to and from this length;
(iii) both carriageways of the A3 between the centreline of Hazel Grove Interchange and Horndean Interchange (A3(M) Junction 1), and all slip roads leading to and from this length; and
(iv) Ham Barn roundabout (B3006).
2. impose a mandatory 50mph speed limit on the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (i) above.
3. impose an overnight temporary 10mph speed restriction while traffic is escorted through the works area by a convoy system, on the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (i) above.
4. authorise the overnight closure of any lay-by, bus stop or gap in the central reservation adjacent to the lengths of carriageway described in 1. Above.
5. authorise the overnight closure of any side road at junction with the lengths of carriageway described in 1. Above.
6. authorise the phased overnight closure of both carriageways of the A3 between Hazel Grove Interchange (A333) and a point 500 metres north-west of the northern entry/exit of Hindhead Tunnel. A contra-flow system would be in operation on the carriageway that remains open. The slip road leading to the northbound carriageway of the A3 at Hazel Grove Interchange (A333J would be closed during northbound carriageway closures.
These measures would be in the interests of road safety while contractors undertake Programmed Cyclical Maintenance (tunnel maintenance, bridge maintenance, drainage, lighting, signage, inspections and surveys, maintenance and clearance of vegetation, litter picking and clearance, road sweeping, emergency crossing point maintenance, road markings and road studs, electrical loop works, barrier maintenance and clearance of injurious weeds).
The duration of each closure would vary depending on the nature of the maintenance work being undertaken on each occasion. The programme of works would start on or after 1 st January 2021. Any overnight closures taking place on the A3 and connecting roads between Ockham Interchange and Horndean Junction would be in operation between 21:00 and 06:00 (maximum period). Planned maintenance work would be scheduled to avoid disruption during known peak periods, although essential maintenance may be necessary during these periods to prevent the need for emergency works. In such cases less disruptive options would be considered. Any overnight closures and contraflow taking place on the A3 in Hindhead Tunnel would be in operation between 19:00 and 06:00 (maximum period).
Any overnight closures and/or speed restrictions taking place on the A3 and connecting roads between Hook Underpass and Ockham Interchange would be in operation between (maximum period):
Monday - Thursdays 22:00 - 05:30
Fridays 23:00 - 06:00
Saturdays 22:00 - 06:00
Sundays 22:30 - 05:30
The Order would come into force on 1 st January 2021 and shall remain in force until 24th December 2021.
A copy of the A3 Cyclical Maintenance Programme and the intended diversion routes are available from the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or email at
. During closures above, traffic affected would be diverted using other junctions of the A3, or the A243, A244, A245, A246, A247, A25, A272, A31, A3100, A32, A320, A322, A325, B2039, B2070, B2171, B2215, B3000, B3002, B3004, B3006, B382, Bridge Road, Chillbrook Road, Downside Bridge Road, Downside Road, Forest Road, Horsley Road, Old Lane and the M27 (motorway designated traffic). The diversion routes listed above are the agreed routes, but these may change depending on local conditions. The diversion in operation would vary according to the closure in force. The temporary speed limits, closures and diversion routes would be clearly indicated by traffic signs when they are in operation during the works period.
J Downham, an Official of Highways England Co Ltd. Ref: HE/SE/2021/A3/CMO Highways England Company Limited, (Company No 9346363). Registered Office: Bridge House, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 4LZ. A company registered in England and Wales. For enquiries, please contact the Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000 or