A3 TRUNK ROAD (SURREY AND HAMPSHIRE) TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONSNotice ID: MF0530831
A3 TRUNK ROAD (SURREY AND HAMPSHIRE) TEMPORARY TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS
Notice is hereby given that Highways England Company Limited has made an Order on the A3 Trunk Road in the Counties of Surrey and Hampshire, under Sections 14(1)(a) and 14(1)(c) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 because works areproposed to be executed on the road. This Order will combine and revoke two existing Orders. The effect of the Order is to:-
1. authorise the overnight closure, in phases, of-
(i) both carriageways of the A3 between Hook Underpass (A309) and Ockham Interchange (B2039/B2215), and all slip roads leading to and from this length;
(ii) both carriageways of the A3 between Ockham Interchange
(B2039/B2215) and apoint 500 metres north-west of the northern
entry/exit of Hindhead Tunnel, and all slip roads leading to and from this length;
(iii) both carriageways of the A3 between the centreline of Hazel Grove Interchange and Horndean Interchange (A3(M) Junction 1), and all slip roads leading to and from this length; and
(iv) Ham Barnroundabout (B3006);
2. impose amandatory 50mph speed limit on the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (i) above;
3. impose an overnight temporary 10mph speed restriction while traffic is escorted through the works area by aconvoysystem, on the lengths of carriageway described in 1. (i) above;
4. authorise the overnight closureofany lay-by,bus stoporgap in the central reservation adjacent to the lengths of carriageway described in 1. above;
5. authorise the overnight closureofany side road at junction with the lengths of carriageway described in 1. above; and
6. authorise the phased overnight closureofboth carriageways of the A3 between Hazel Grove Interchange (A333) and apoint 500 metres north-west of the northernentry/exit of Hindhead Tunnel. Acontra-flow system will be in operation on the carriageway that remains open. The slip road leading to the northbound carriageway of the A3 at Hazel Grove Interchange (A333) will be closed during northbound carriageway closures.
These measures areinthe interests of road safety while contractors undertake Programmed Cyclical Maintenance (drainage, lighting, signage, inspections and surveys, maintenance and clearance of vegetation, litter picking and clearance, road sweeping, emergency crossing point maintenance, road markings and road studs, electrical loop works, barrier maintenance and clearance of injurious weeds). The duration of each closurewillvary depending on the natureofthe maintenance work being undertaken on each occasion. The programme of works will start on or after 1st January 2020. Any overnight closures taking place on the A3 and connecting roads between Ockham Interchange and Horndean Junction will be in operation between 21:00 and 06:00 (maximum period). Planned maintenance work will be scheduled to avoid disruption during known peak periods, although essential maintenance may be necessary during these periods to prevent the need for emergency works. In such cases less disruptive options will be considered.
Any overnight closures and contraflow taking place on the A3 in Hindhead Tunnel will be in operation between 19:00 and 06:00 (maximum period). Any overnight closures and/or speed restrictions taking place on the A3 and connecting roads between Hook Underpass and Ockham Interchange will be in operation between (maximum period):
Saturdays 22:00 -06:00
Sundays 22:30 -05:30
The Order will come into force on 1st January 2020 and shall remain in force until 23rdDecember 2020.
Acopy of the A3 Cyclical Maintenance Programme and the intended diversion routes areavailable from the Customer Contact Centreon 0300 123 5000 or email at
. During closures above, traffic affected will be diverted using other junctions of the A3, or the A243, A244, A245, A246, A247, A25, A272, A31, A3100, A32, A320, A322, A325, B2039, B2070, B2171, B2215,
B3000, B3002, B3004, B3006, B382, Bridge Road, Chillbrook Road,
Downside BridgeRoad, Downside Road, Forest Road, Horsley Road, Old Lane and the M27 (motorway designated traffic). The diversion routes listed above arethe agreed routes, but these may change depending on local conditions. The diversion in operation will vary according to the closureinforce.
The temporary speed limits, closures and diversion routes will be clearly indicated by traffic signs when they areinoperation during the works period.
JDownham, an Official of Highways England Co Ltd. Ref: HE/SE/2020/A3/CMO
Highways England Company Limited, (Company No. 9346363).
Registered Office: Bridge House, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, Surrey,
GU1 4LZ. Acompany registered in England and Wales.
For enquiries, please contact the Customer Contact Centreon
0300 123 5000 or