Kingston survival fight over bar the shouting

Kingston survival fight over bar the shouting

Trying times: Kingston’s Matt Bolster tests the Old Tiffinians

Quick ball: Old Tiffs’ Ollie Lacey gets things moving at a ruck on Saturday

First published in Rugby News Surrey Comet: Photograph of the Author by , Sports editor

Kingston’s Surrey Division One fate will be decided  in a committee room rather than on the pitch - for now.

The Hook Road outfit could not secure the win required at champions Old Tiffinians last Saturday that would have secured the sixth place finish needed to be certain of county top-flight rugby next term.

Head coach Earle Wilkes’ men were edged out 29-28, but scored five tries – including two penalty tries – in a thrilling encounter to grab two losing bonus points.

The league’s decision to allow the result of the clash between Old Whitgiftians and Old Blues – which was abandoned with 10 minutes remaining with the scores at 25-19 to Old Blues on Saturday – to stand dropped Kingston in to the bottom three.

Surrey RFU competitions sub-committee chairman Tony Price confirmed on Tuesday that Kingston, Old Freemans and Old Walcountians would drop in to Surrey Two.

But chairman Graeme Maisey, whose club lodged an appeal on Wednesday asking for the Old Whitgiftians match to be replayed, reckoned his side should have been home and hosed already.

“It was the one that got away to be honest, we should have won,” said the 41-year-old second row.

“The tries we gave away were pretty soft, but we got back to within a point.

“We were on their line for the last 10 minutes. We missed two penalty kicks and I think we should have been awarded a penalty try.

“The scrum stood up twice on their scrum five yards out.

“It was a tremendous effort from the guys. We couldn’t have really done much more.”

He added: “This always happens. They should decide these things at the start of the season.”

Old Whitgiftians chairman Sam Barke was reluctant to replay his club’s final game, which was halted after a player suffered a broken leg.

“No one wants to particularly play the game, but the result will affect other clubs, so it will probably have to be played again,” he added.

The Surrey RFU are expected to make a decision on the abandoned game next week.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree