Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Christmas plans for Surbiton as councillors mull £5,500 community grant
It might be too early to begin Christmas shopping, but Surbiton councillors might be delivering presents early this year.
They will decide next week whether to give thousands to businesses for Christmas celebrations including a procession through the town centre, staged entertainment, and a visit from farm animals.
Kingston Council officers have asked councillors to approve a grant of £5,500 to the Surbiton Business Community (SCB) “in view of the amount of time, work and effort the SBC are putting into this year’s Christmas event and the benefits to the wider community.”
There are also plans for a more spectacular set of Christmas lights.
The money would come from the Surbiton neighbourhood committee’s coffers, because of a predicted £27,000 saving this year from staff costs and other areas.
- Unsung hero: PTA fundraiser with a bit of give and bake
- Secret Curmudgeon: Let common sense prevail on cycling with headphones
- Vintage Kingston: December 7 1963: French exchange teachers deported for shoplifting
- Mum's the word with Angellica Bell: We love Christmas
- Obituary: Church groundskeeper and former coal man
Comments are closed on this article.