A pubgoer who had his throat slashed at an Elvis tribute night fought back against his attackers as blood oozed from his neck, a court has heard.

Gino Taffurelli had his throat slit with a stanley knife in the outdoor smoking area of his regular pub the Chessington Oak, in Moor Lane, in front of drinkers on Friday, September 13 last year.

But when police arrived he was still able to speak and named one of his alleged attackers despite his wounds.

Stephen Martin Shearwood, 50, of Shepherds Bush Road, Hammersmith, and John Clifford Thorp, 48, from Essex are jointly charged with attempted murder, causing grievous bodily harm and inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Both defendants were dressed smartly in the dock at Kingston Crown Court yesterday for the start of their trial.

Prosecutor Alan Gardner said: “Whilst seriously being injured Gino Taffurelli was able to fight back to some extent. Assisted by others in the pub - the door staff - he was able to beat off the attack.

“The prosecution case is that Stephen Shearwood used a stanley knife to attempt to murder Gino Taffurelli by cutting his throat.

"The prosecution say that Mr Thorp was part of that attack on Gino Taffurelli."

Mr Gardner said the two men arrived at the pub intending to fatally injure Mr Taffurelli along with another man, Paul English, who played no part in the violence.

But the pair walked separately into the smoking area of the pub and headed to Mr Taffurelli who was allegedly punched in the head by Mr Shearwood before a fight broke out.

Mr Thorp and Mr Taffurelli then began struggling with each other before Mr Shearwood renewed his attack from behind, the court heard.

Jurors were shown CCTV footage of the fight.

Mr Gardner said one witness would testify hearing the words: "He stabbed me" and seeing blood squirt out of the victim's neck.

The victim and Mr Shearwood were known to each other, he added.

The fight ended as two door men fended off the alleged attackers before they escaped, leaving Mr Taffurelli with a deep wound of up to 15cm in length across his neck, the court heard.

Mr Taffurelli was tended to by customers who tried to stop the bleeding as pub staff called police.

Mr Gardner said: "He is very lucky indeed to have survived the injury.

"The nature or location of this injury proves the clear intention...that this injury should be fatal."

The trial continues.