A burglar sizing up a New Malden home in the middle of the night was rumbled after its owner opened the front door.
A Metropolitan Police helicopter was also scrambled in search of the man who fled from Cheltenham Close towards Northcote Road and climbed over a fence onto the railway line.
He is described as white, about 6ft 2ins wearing a black hoodie, black jogging bottoms and black trainers.
Kingston police were called to reports of the attempted burglary in Cheltenham Close at 1.46am on Thursday, January 16.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call Kingston police on 101 or to call Crimestoppers annonymously on 0800 111 555.
- Armed police called to New Malden after member of the public mistakes delivery driver's PDA for a gun
- Body of fisherman found in the Thames at Walton
- Reporter kicked out of David Munro 'racially motivated' treatment hearing because it is 'in the public interest' to discuss complaint in secret
- More affordable housing for London as Sadiq Khan prepares to introduce 'non-negotiable' 35 per cent rate on private developments
- 'There's a squirrel trapped in my satellite dish' and other things the London Fire Brigade doesn't want to be called for