A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Former Surrey Comet news editor gagged over reporting of alleged paedophile ring
- Rurik Jutting declared fit to stand trial for double murder in Hong Kong
- NHS workers out on strike again over 'fair pay'
- On-site needle exchange dropped in rehabilitation service relocation plans
- Surrey Police step up the fight against terror