A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- 'Red alert' issued and millions warned to stay at home as London is hit by toxic air from Germany
- Surrey County Council leader confirms move to seek largest council tax hike in the country of 15 per cent
- Korean delegation of students visits Kingston's Guildhall
- Kingston Hospital hands out warm blankets to patients in bid to tackle ward's 'very sterile and clinical' feel
- UPDATE: Vulnerable man with links to Weybridge found