A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Kingston Hospital bosses promise to review parking fines
- Ambulance drivers to walk out this week over pay dispute
- Discount retailer B&M sets up shop in Tolworth
- 'Extremely prolific' burglar jailed after eagle-eyed PC ended his south London and Surrey burglary spree
- No plans to open permanent alcohol recovery centre despite success of Kingston pilot