A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Rehab and anxiety treatment services could remain split after "botched" council consultation
- Award nomination for mother of teen murdered outside Streatham ice rink
- Premier League footballer handcuffed after being wrongly accused of stealing cheese from Weybridge supermarket
- New Kingston free school to open in office block
- Foodies out in force for the Elmbridge Food Festival