Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Family's television explodes during lightning storm in New Malden
A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Kingston wins share of £100m Mayor of London cycle funding for 'mini Holland' project
- 50 first dates: Doting husband visits wife in care home each day knowing she may not remember him
- Mum given record fine after children missed school for more than six months
- Family's anger after discovering this mangled tribute prepared for nan's funeral
- Mum About Town with Angellica Bell: 'Being a working parent comes with its own obstacles - and critics'
Comments are closed on this article.