A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Judicial review granted to reassess Elmbridge Council's planning decision for £17.9m sports complex
- Hampton Carnival is returning in June
- South East Coast Ambulance Service chief exec leaves two months after "fundamental failures" in 111 pilot scheme
- VIDEO: Dramatic police helicopter chase from Chessington to Twickenham ends in burglary arrests
- Kettles, fridges and even frying pans – the innovative smart tech that could simplify our life