A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Volunteers needed for RNLI fundraising day across south London
- Vintage Kingston: Stuck in the loo for a week
- Surrey and East Sussex launched money-saving partnership
- Mum About Town with Angellica Bell: 'The dreams I have when I am sleeping are even more strange and obscure'
- CAB gets £27k to support people of Walton, Weybridge and Hersham