A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after fisherman found dead by the Thames in Walton
- Devoted nurse retires after a staggering 58 years in the NHS
- 1,000-home Walton 'garden village' plans revived
- Inspirational scientist tells students to 'Say yes to everything, you are good enough'
- Murder investigation launched after man found in Thames in Walton suffered 'trauma to the head'