A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- North Korean woman stabbed husband to death in New Malden home after he got his lover pregnant, court hears
- Car bursts into flames in Kingston town centre
- Thief steals more than 150 premium sunglasses from Walton opticians
- Man charged with murdering Walton man more than 20 years ago
- South West Trains commuters warned of 'major impacts' to services as Waterloo station is upgraded