A New Malden family has had a lucky escape after their TV set and Sky satellite receiver exploded on Sunday.
Daughter Sophia Kyriacou was upstairs in the home in Portlands Avenue, when their satellite dish was hit by lightning just before 8pm.
Miss Kyriacou, 22, said: “I saw a white, bomb-like effect that caused a slight vibration to our house.
“My mum and brother were watching TV downstairs where it blew up in a puff of dark smoke in front of their eyes.
“I thought it was a bomb, I can still remember the sound. “It was really scary. We have a big, black smoky wall where the TV blew up now.”
Firefighters attended the scene and the family was later allowed back in the house.
- Father of missing university student Viktor Ivanelo pays tribute to 'emotional and empathetic' son after body discovered under Surbiton railway arch
- 'It's in dire need of overhauling': Kingston Hospital raises costs to fund improvements to maligned car park
- Revealed: County council plans to cut millions of pounds from frontline services
- City Hall gives final go-ahead to £400m plans to demolish and rebuild Eden Walk shopping metropolis
- Single machine blamed for 96% of gambling addicts' major losses