The wife of one of the barbers sentenced for assaulting a business rival has spoken out against her husband’s sentence.
Farhan Ismail, along with brother Zeshan and hairdressing apprentice Denarte Bessa, was sentenced to 10 months in prison last week after the “ferocious attack” on next-door rivals Mohaned and Omar Nasraldin.
Mr Ismail's wife Claire said: “We are very shocked. We were expecting to maybe have a community service order or at worst case a suspended sentence.
“We had so many good character references. He has done so much charity work.
“We are just all really surprised.
“I will be fine. I have got all my family and I’ve got all his family.”
Mr and Mrs Ismail have four young children, aged 10, nine, four, and three.
The brothers’ character referees included John Azah, director of Kingston Race and Equalities Council.
Mr Azah told Kingston Crown Court: “Farhan in particular as he grew up was somebody who got involved [in the community].
“They fundamentally were law-abiding children.”
Brothers Farhan and Zeshan Ismail catered to sports stars, including England rugby captain Chris Robshaw, and celebrities at their Richmond Road, Kingston, salon.
Their competitors Omar and Mohaned Nasraldin were left with cuts, bruises, fractures, and a bite mark after the attack in July.
During a trial Kingston Crown Court was shown CCTV footage showing one of the Ismail brothers combing his hair using the Nasraldins’ shop window.
The Nasraldins brought down the shutters, sparking an argument which escalated into a three-on-two brawl inside the shop.
The Ismail brothers and apprentice Denarte Bessa were each sentenced to a total of 10 months in prison at Kingston Crown Court
The Nasraldin brothers shut up shop after the attack and moved away from the area, taking a financial hit in the process.
- Swans covered in oil and diesel after bus fire fuel leak spills into the Hogsmill river
- WATCH: Double-decker bus engulfed in flames after catching fire in Kingston's Market Place
- Huge shock as Sarah Olney defeats Zac Goldsmith in Richmond Park and North Kingston by-election
- Husband who killed Sonita Nijhawan in "brutal and sustained attack" in Weybridge jailed for life
- Surrey teen with severe physical disability gets early Christmas wish to meet pop star