Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Tolworth shopkeeper who survived horrific 2009 beating suffers another break-in
A newsagent in Tolworth who survived a horrific attack four years ago has suffered another break-in.
Sureshkumar Aruchunarasa, owner of Balmoral Food and Wine in Ewell Road, said his shop was broken into overnight.
Mr Aruchunarasa said: “I live upstairs. I went downstairs to open the shop and the door was broken.
“Inside they broke the cigarette shelves and alcohol shelves.”
Police were understood to have visited the shop this morning.
In 2009 Mr Aruchunarasa, 39, was savagely beaten and hospitalised while trying to lock up his shop.
Mr Aruchunarasa added: “It is a very bad situation for us.
“I don’t want it to happen to any other shops.
“We want to save our community. The shops are very quiet now in this area.”
St Mark’s ward councillor Yogan Yoganathan said: “It is happening frequently in this area.
“The safer neighbourhood team must have some positive action or programme to protect small independent businesses.”
Got a story? Call the newsdesk on 020 8744 4273 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 'Considerable' rise in achievement at Chessington primary school
- Kingston Council scraps building plans for Surbiton schools in expansion u-turn
- Rolling with Rick Astley as Never Gonna Give You Up singer gets ready for Hampton Court Palace Festival
- Anstee Bridge brings 500 years of Kingston crime and punishment to life
- Free school group have had 'great difficulty' looking for site
Comments are closed on this article.