Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Thousands affected by power cuts in Kingston town centre
A power cut hit several buildings in Kingston town centre today.
Problems at a substation are causing intermittent power outages across the town centre, including at Kingston station, where commuters have been unable to touch in and out using their oyster cards.
Twitter user Matt Malone tweeted: “@SW_Trains Kingston Station, none of the ticket machines are on... and only one person selling tickets! People might like to leave more time.”
Another twitter user Lizzie Hepburn tweeted: “Why does everywhere in Kingston have a power cut? Let me pay for my toilet roll and leave.”
UK Power Networks said 3,052 customers lost power in and around Eden Street today between 10.22am and 12.10pm.
A spokesman said: “UK Power Networks engineers restored supplies to the first 795 customers within five minutes and the rest in groups, with the final 173 customers having power again at 12.10pm.
"We appreciate how difficult it can be to lose power, especially when it is cold, and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this incident.”
- Three children found dead in New Malden
- Man suffers leg and pelvic injuries in crash between car and motorbike
- Fake gun burglar jailed for seven years after petrified victim jumped off balcony
- Drinkers raise hundreds for breast cancer charity at Hook Beer Festival
- Bravery award for man who risked his life to save another
Comments are closed on this article.