Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Man hospitalised after major house fire in Spurfield Road, West Molesey
A man was taken to hospital as firefighters tackled a burning house in West Molesey this afternoon.
It is believed there was a gas explosion at the house in Spurfield this afternoon, September 6.
Neighbours said the explosion rocked the area.
A man living opposite the house said paper on his desk shook when the explosion happened.
His wife, Tatiana Humphrias, said: “I heard a bang and came out straight away and called 999.
“I saw the fire coming out of the garage and the garage door was blown away.
“There were a few people calling 999 and the fire developed so quickly and then in five minutes the fire brigade came and the fire was spreading quickly.
“The car was in front of the garage and was about to explode but the fire brigade stopped it.”
The fire started at about 1.20pm.
Spurfield in West Molesey remains closed and police advised people to avoid the area.
A man in his 40s has been taken to hospital as a result of the fire.
A spokesman from South East Coast Ambulance Service sad: “We were called just before 1.30pm to reports of a fire and of some explosions in Spurfield, West Molesey.
“We sent two ambulances to the scene.
“A man, believed to be in his 40s, was taken to Kingston Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.”
The whole front of the three-storey house was destroyed and the glass from the windows has gone.
Firefighters are using a crane to hose down the roof of the house and the house next door.
Fire crews have cordoned off an area in Spurfield, while a Surrey Police cordon remains in place slightly further along the same street.
Firefighters were seen putting on breathing apparatus as they tackled the blaze.
Onlookers said the fire may have spread to the next house on the end of terrace and a there is a foul stench of smoke.
Jan Decogan, who lives in nearby Victoria Close, said: “I heard a massive explosion and I thought it was a cat flap at first and then five minutes later I looked out the window and saw loads of smoke.
“It’s just amazing how quickly this can happen.”
No one else was treated at the scene and the other ambulance has left.
Surrey Police are also on the scene. A spokesman said: “We were called to the scene at about 1.25pm assisting Surrey Fire and Rescue service.”
The operation is being led by Surrey Fire and Rescue service.
One man reported seeing a huge plume of smoke, near Tesco in Hurst Road.
Unconfirmed reports said a house had caught fire after a gas leak caused an explosion.
Comments are closed on this article.