Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Fire breaks out on eighth floor of Cambridge Estate tower block
Firefighters attended a fire on the eighth floor of a 17-storey building on the Cambridge Road Estate last night.
The fire believed to be a rubbish fire, began in the hallway of Childerley House.
There were no injuries but there was a small amount of damage to a flat in Burritt Road, Kingston.
The fire was under control within an hour but a Kingston firefighter said there was a lot of smoke.
Jill Preston, chairman of the Cambridge Road Estate community group Crest, did not see the fire, but said: "Thank God it's not another Madingley".
An arson on the 12th floor of the nearby Madingley tower block left 100 homeless in July 2010.
A smoke alarm in the flat the fire started had not sounded, the Comet discovered in February 2012, after seeing a secret fire brigade report into the fire.
The exact cause of the fire is being investigated by the London Fire Brigade and police.
- Child's bedroom gutted by fire in Tolworth
- Man hit by bus in New Malden suffers non-life-threatening injuries
- Last Christmas for Surbiton jeweller as owners blame 'lack of support' from shoppers and Kingston Council
- Chessington neighbours still big kids about Christmas lights ten years on
- Where can I get a kebab at 5am on New Year's Eve? Not in Kingston
Comments are closed on this article.