Contact us: Got a photo? Text 'SLPICS' to 80360. Got a story? Call the newsdesk: 020 8744 4244
Carbon monoxide leak lands two in Kingston Hospital
Two people were taken to hospital after a carbon monoxide leak early this morning.
A man and a woman, both in their 40s, of King Charles Road in Surbiton, were taken to Kingston Hospital after showing signs of having inhaled the deadly gas, a London Ambulance spokeswoman said.
An ambulance crew, a first responder, and a hazardous area response team were sent out shortly after 12.30am.
The flat was evacuated and the boiler turned off after a specialised fire engine with monitoring equipment arrived.
Surbiton firefighter and red watch manager Robin Hart said the residents were lucky to escape. He said: "Having a detector there most probably saved their lives."
Residents should equip their homes with the detectors which can be bought cheaply at DIY stores, he added.