A graphic designer has been found guilty of killing YMCA resident Warsame Warsame after punching him twice in the head during a fight on a train.

It took the jury just over two hours to find Rhys Stacey Parchment, 25, guilty of manslaughter, following a two-week trial at Blackfriars Crown Court.

Mr Warsame, 24, died on March 4, 2013, two days after Stacey Parchment punched him twice in the head on board a train travelling between Raynes Park and Wimbledon.

Witnesses in the trial said they heard Mr Warsame, who had a history of physical and mental health problems, say "wagwan" to Stacey Parchment moments before the attack.

In his defence, Stacey Parchment, formerly of New Barnes Avenue, Mitcham, but now from Woodcote Road, Wallington, claimed Mr Warsame tried to steal his mobile phone.

During the trial, the jury was shown CCTV images of both Stacey Parchment and Mr Warsame boarding the train, at Surbiton and Raynes Park respectively.

Pictures of both the men leaving the train at Wimbledon station after Mr Warsame was punched were also shown.

Surrey Comet:

Warsame Warsame, bottom right, walking through the train moments before his fatal encounter with Rhys Stacey Parchment

Surrey Comet:

Earlier: Rhys Stacey Parchment waiting for the the train at Surbiton station

The court was also shown pictures of Mr Warsame the night before the attack, when he had failed to take his medication and punched a worker at the YMCA Surbiton before being taken to Kingston Hospital with tachycardia.

The jury retired at about 10.40am today, May 20, returning just before 1pm to deliver a unanimous verdict.

Stacey Parchment was given unconditional bail ahead of his sentencing on Thursday, May 22, when he is almost certain to receive a jail term.

He could be seen in the court precincts holding his head in his hands shortly after the verdict was read out, before disappearing into a room with family members.

Surrey Comet:

Rhys Stacey Parchment leaving Wimbledon station after punching Warsame Warsame

Detective Superintendent Gary Richardson from British Transport Police said: “We are satisfied that this tragic case has finally been drawn to a conclusion and we hope this will allow the family an opportunity to move on in their grieving, although we know nothing will ever bring back their beloved Warsame.

“The witnesses who came forward were identified through BTP and colleagues in the Metropolitan Police service conducting numerous anniversary appeals at stations along the route and also on a number of trains.

Surrey Comet:

Warsame Warsame leaving Wimbledon station after he was punched

Surrey Comet:

Warsame Warsame

"We’d like to thank these witnesses for supporting the investigation and providing excellent testimony.

“This type of violent attack is rare on the rail network, and BTP works tirelessly to make sure people are as safe as possible on trains and at stations.

"When assaults do occur we take them very seriously and will do everything in our power to identify the person or people responsible and bring them to justice, as in this case.

“Our thoughts remain very much with Warsame’s family, who have all shown great dignity throughout the course of the investigation and have been hugely supportive of our officers during what must be a very difficult time.”